The Command Department is comprised of the Commanding Officer, First Officer/Executive Officer, their assistants and staff.
Commanding Officer (CO, Captain):
In the Star Trek universe, the Commanding Officer is responsible for the safety, well being, and efficiency of their command. Although the care and attention of details of this command is delegated to the Department Chiefs and Division Heads, responsibility for these remains with the CO. The CO’s power is authoritative and complete – and may not be delegated.
Aboard the USS Adamant , the Commanding Officer is responsible for everything. The following summary list of duties is assigned to the Commanding Officer:
- official representative of the chapter
- responsible to maintain the STARFLEET charter
- responsible for the general welfare and administration of the chapter
First Officer/Executive Officer (FO/XO, Exec):
In the Star Trek universe, the First Officer is the aide to the CO, and as such is the second-in-command, the next ranking line officer. The FO is the CO’s direct representative. His duties include maintaining the general efficiency of the ship and crew, coordinating with the Department Chief and Division Heads.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the First Officer is responsible for assisting the CO, administering the departments, and attending to the needs of the members. The following summary list of duties is assigned to the First Officer:
- responsible for the administration and supervision of the departments
- responsible for the general welfare of the members
- responsible for providing leadership for the chapter
Charity Coordinator: responsible for coordinating charity projects & fund raising events.
Financial Officer (Treasurer): responsible for maintaining accurate financial records.
Legal Officer: responsible for advising the CO & crew on rules of order, legal issues and also helps to resolve conflicts.
Quartermaster: responsible for acquiring, storing and tracking all chapter property.
Records Officer: responsible for maintaining hard copies and back-up files of all chapter documents.
Yeoman: personal assistant to the CO.
In the Star Trek universe, the Communications is responsible for the coordination, operation and upkeep of the ship’s external and internal communications systems, as well as maintaining the ship’s electronic systems, including the Sensors and Main Computer hardware.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Communications Department is responsible for producing, collecting, disseminating, and providing information that is of interest or need to the members.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Communications Department:
- Creation and distribution of the ships’ internal communiques such as:
- Newsletter The Threshold
- Meeting minutes
- Membership packets
- Inform members, other chapters, and the Region of our events:
- Monthly mailings
- E-mail notices via Chapter & Regional Listserves/Facebook pages
- Announcements at Chapter & Regional Meetings
- Collect, disseminate and distribute information regarding:
- Inter-chapter, Regional, or STARFLEET events.
- Upcoming conventions and public events of interest to the members.
- Star Trek & Sci-Fi news and information
Documents Officer: Responsible for creation and supply of official forms:
- Membership application
- Brochures & flyers
- Business cards
- Recruiting materials
- Award and promotion certificates
Public Relations Officer: Responsible for
- Handling our publicity efforts with the media.
- Promote inter-chapter cooperation through communication.
In the Star Trek universe, the Engineering Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all systems including Propulsion, Life Support and Damage Control.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Engineering Department is responsible for providing information on our fictional universe, real space exploration as well as supporting the computer and technological needs of the chapter.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Engineering Department:
- Provide information on the fictional starship (ie: schematics) and era (late 23rd century), for chapter use.
- Collect and distribute information regarding:
- Real life technological advances.
- Real life computer & telecommunication info
- Progress of the Space program and space exploration.
Computer Operations Officer: Responsible for the chapter’s computer needs:
- Maintaining the Chapter’s Listserve.
- Maintaining the Chapter’s website.
- Creation and supply of graphic images of our fictional starship, logos and other design needs for chapter use.
In the Star Trek universe, the Medical Department is responsible for the health of the ship’s complement, with special emphasis upon the mental health of the CO. Additional responsibilities include recreational facilities and activities.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Medical Department is responsible for improving health of its members by providing support, information and training.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Medical Department:
- Provide medical support during chapter events. Have emergency contact information on hand at all times (Police, Fire, Ambulance, Poison Control etc.).
- Create and maintain a fully stocked First Aid kit that will be present at all events.
- Collect and maintain information on any member with special health concerns. This information is volunteered by the member, if desired, and kept in strict confidence, only to be used in cased of medical emergencies.
- Initiate programs to improve the health and general well being of the members:
- First Aid & CPR training
- Emergency Procedures (ie: fire, flood, severe weather)
- Collect and distribute information regarding:
- Real life medical advances
- Nutrition, diet & exercise
- Medical screenings & warnings
- General health
Recreation Officer: Responsible for suggesting fun and interesting events to fit the interests of the members.
Morale Officer: Responsible for maintaining a positive and cheerful attitude among the members:
- Promoting the theme of FUN!
- Giving attention to member’s special dates (ie: birthdays, anniversaries, promotions).
In the Star Trek universe, the Operations Department is responsible for the safe navigation of the vessel and the care and operation of the ship’s Auxiliary Craft and Weapons Systems.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Operations Department is responsible for providing efficient administrative & logistical support to the members.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Operations Department:
- Coordinate all logistical details for chapter events.
- Creation, distribution and collection of ballots and related materials for elections or voting procedures.
Navigator: Provide maps, directions and coordinate transportation.
Helmsman: Coordinate hotel accommodations & related details.
Personnel Officer: Responsible for maintaining accurate records on the members.
- Maintain contact records for each member.
- Provide up to date roster information.
- Remind members of renewal dates for their STARFLEET membership.
- Track points and current rank of each member.
In the Star Trek universe, the Sciences Department is responsible for providing the maximum amount of data possible regarding the surroundings, whether by ship’s Sensors or by the Main Computer.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Sciences Department is responsible for providing information on the latest astronomical, environmental, and scientific news.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Sciences Department:
- Responsible for suggesting and organizing scientific away missions
- Inform and educate the chapter on any new information in these fields:
In the Star Trek universe, the Security Department is responsible for maintaining internal security, and providing tactical support in hostile territory.
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Security Department is responsible for maintaining order and securing the safety of the members and guests during chapter events.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Security Department:
- Insure the comfort and safety of all members and guests during chapter events & landing parties.
- Safe escort of members and guests to their vehicles during dark/evening hours after events.
- Escort disruptive persons away from chapter event areas.
- Contact local authorities if/when a person or situation threatens the safety of a member or guest.
- Promote member personal safety by:
- Scheduling self-defense training
- Providing information on personal safety
Master at Arms: Serves as a facilitator for chapter meetings, maintaining order and ensuring that everyone stays focused on the topics at hand.
Tactical Officer: Responsible for coordinating the volunteers for convention security and other volunteer events including:
- Obtain volunteers and schedule duty shifts accordingly
- Create and maintain a Convention Security Manual
- Train all members in proper procedures for working convention security
Aboard the USS Adamant, the Cadet Corp is responsible for providing fun and educational activities for our junior members (18 yrs or younger). The Cadet Corp is lead by the Chief of Cadets, an adult with a Full Membership.
The following list of duties is assigned to the Chief of Cadets:
- Creation and distribution of a unique Membership Packet for Cadets.
- Creation and distribution of a unique newsletter for Cadets.
- Creation and distribution of a chapter coloring book that includes our logo, and drawings of our fictional ship, etc.
- Communication of relevant (adult) ship activities & Star Trek info in a manner the Cadets can understand.
- Monthly educational mailings.
- Adapt (adult) chapter events to suit the needs of the Cadets attending.
- Coordinate joint events with the Cadets from other chapters.
- Educate the Cadets on medical, safety and emergency procedures relevant to their age & ability.
- Schedule events uniquely designed for the interests of the Cadets.
- Develop and maintain a Rank & Point system for active Cadets.
- Guarantee the safety and protection of all Cadets, ensuring that they are constantly being supervised by an adult member of the chapter.